Thursday, February 14, 2008

Dear Valentine's Day

Dear Valentine’s Day,

There really is never an easy way to say this. So I’ll just come out and say it. This just isn’t working out. Us. We aren’t working out. I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to ask you to move on.

Now, I know you are probably thinking there is someone else. There isn’t. I’ll admit, I’m close with Christmas, but only because Christmas brings me guaranteed joy. But, it isn’t like Christmas and I are having a love affair. I just enjoy the company of Christmas.

The reason I’m ending this is simple: you are smothering me. I am constantly bombarded with reminders about you. Do you not realize I know all about you? It’s not like we haven’t had a long, 27 year, relationship.

I’ll admit. I enjoyed some of the more recent times we’ve had. I never have been one to turn down something sparkly. But, you are always insisting we spend a lot of money and go out to somewhere fancy. You know I hate waiting three hours for a table. Yet you insist that we do it. You know I can’t stand dining in an overly crowded restraint, yet you insist we do.

The fact is, you are selfish. You insist on garnering all my attention and you act like you are the only one in my life. Have you ever thought about Easter? What about Memorial Day? And Fourth of July? I love all of them too, but they don’t constantly make me feel crappy if I don’t do things the way they want them done. You, on the other hand, expect me to wear red and a smile. You expect me to be happy and loving.

Maybe I don’t want to always be smiling. And red is not my color. Have you thought about that? Even once? No. You’re too busy making me feel like I should appreciate everything I get from you.

So, Valentine’s Day, I have to end it here. We had some good times, and I’ll keep those in my memories. But, our road stops here. I have to move on with my life. Easter is waiting for me.

Sincerely,

Your Former Love.

No comments: